Ms. Pechan's Blog

"Adventure is worthwhile." -Aesop

Hot Water Beach

Today we drove to Coromandel Peninsula on the east side of the North Island.  It is famous for its beautiful beaches.  The view from the top of the hill was spectacular…. and I’m happy to report that there was NO RAIN!!

The main attraction at this beach is that there are natural hot springs that you can access during low tide each day.  So, we rented a shovel and walked down to the beach from our cabin.

We began digging in the sand in order to find a hot spot of warm water.

P1110572

We dug and dug and dug, but unfortunately we did not find a hot water spot.  Others were more fortunate than us and were able to dig their own hot water spas to enjoy right out on the sand.

P1110575

If you want to read more about this natural wonder, you can click here.

11 Comments

1. Hello this is basketball hot shot and I can’t believe that they made their own spa out of sand at the beach.

2. I hope you had a good time at Hot Water Beach. It was fun to learn about the hot springs and how you can relax in them. It was nice to know that some volcanoes make reservoirs underground of heated water. Now I know about a place I’ve never heard of. Keep having fun in New Zealand!

• Ms. P

November 18, 2014 at 11:13 am

Yes, isn’t it amazing to learn about geothermal activity under the earth’s surface? I recently visited a place called Te Puia which also is full of geothermal activity. I will be posting about it soon.

3. Basketballgirl23

November 17, 2014 at 2:25 am

Hello Mrs.Pechan. This is basketballgirl23. I have learned a lot about Hot Water Beach. Here’s what I learned.
    Hot Water Beachs’ name comes from the underground hot springs which filter up through the sand between the high and low tides of water. Within two hours either side of low tide‚ it is possible to dig into the sand allowing hot water to escape to the surface. This forms a hot water pool. Did you know that the water can be as hot as 147°F!
    You may ask‚ “What makes this water so hot?”
    Well the answer is that some volcanoes develop huge underground reservoirs of superheated water. Over time that water escapes and travels up to the surface. While it travels up it cools down‚ so when it gets to the surface the water is not the same temperature as it was before.
    I also learned that this is Geothermal Energy.
    Thank you for your time. 😀
    Mrs.Gillum’s student‚
    Laisha

• Ms. P

November 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

Wow, Leisha! Thank you for sharing all of that great information with me. I am glad to know that I have some friends who are learning with me. Thanks again!

4. Hello Mrs. Peacan,

This has been a very exciting blog to read. I am happy to tell you that I have learned alot about these hot springs. You are a very interesting person to travel with.

Thankyou,
    Miranda

• Ms. P

November 18, 2014 at 11:10 am

I am happy to hear that you have learned some new things. There are many interesting geological features here in New Zealand… geothermal areas, beaches, volcanoes, mountains, and glaciers. I hope that you can visit here some day. I think that you would have fun exploring.

5. Hi Ms.P, I hope you are enjoying your time in New Zealand . I hear about these hotspots on the beach. I figured out how they get so hot. Under the water, there were volcanoes, and from the volcanoes there is magma which kind of rises. When it rises it coolens, but the reason it is hot is because of the magma. I have learned that this is a form of geothermal energy.

Thank you for providing such wonderful information about these beautiful places.
    P.S. don’t forget to take a selfie