Ms. Pechan's Blog

"Adventure is worthwhile." -Aesop

Tamaki Maori Village

The Maori people traveled from Polynesia around the 1300’s and settled in New Zealand. Of course, just like people of any society, they have experienced many changes over the past several hundred years. Fortunately I was able to visit a place called Tamaki Maori Village which was created in order to educate people about the traditions and customs of the Maori people.

We participated in the “Powhiri” (formal welcome) before we were able to enter the village. The Maori warriors came out to meet us. They began by displaying some intimidating gestures to show us their power and strength.

The chief then placed the “Teka” (peace offering) on the ground for the “chief” from our tourist group to pick up as a sign that we came in peace.

The chief of the Maori tribe.

The chief of the Maori tribe.

At that point we were able to enter the village where we learned about many different aspects of traditional Maori life. (I videotaped some of this for you to see when I return.)

Games were used to train children the skills that they would need to become strong and valiant warriors.

We also got to see the Maori perform some traditional dances and war chants. The evening concluded when we got to sit down at the table to eat a traditional “Hangi” feast. It was delicious.

The preparations for the Hangi feast include chicken, lamb and kumara (sweet potatoes) being cooked in an underground oven.

I can share more about this with you when I return to school. I really enjoyed learning about the Maori people.

4 Comments

1. It sounds like you are having fun. It’s good that you are thinking like a sociologist. Did you have fun learning about the Maori people’s customs and traditions? Remember to keep learning and have fun while doing it.

• Ms. P

November 20, 2014 at 10:31 am

Yes, I always enjoy learning about other people and their cultures. It was wonderful! Where would you like to visit someday? Is there a culture that you find interesting that you would like to learn more about?

2. Did you do any of the games with them. If you did, was it fun?

• Ms. P

November 20, 2014 at 10:20 am

Yes, I did try playing a really fun game with sticks. It involves four people playing at a time, similar to four-square. It requires focus, good listening skills, speed, and coordination. If you’re interested in learning more, I can teach it to you sometime.